International security

International security

For international travel of UQAT staff members, it is important to fill out the request form for a mission order or for students, the foreign travel form. Information:

The decision to travel is an individual choice and implies certain responsibilities, including ensuring one's own safety abroad. UQAT, therefore, recommends that anyone planning to travel abroad consult the following security-related information.

Before Travelling Outside of Canada

If you must travel for an essential purpose, please verify:

  • the Government of Canada's travel advice and advisories
  • the conditions of entry and public health requirements for your destination country, including all required documents
  • the requirements of any transit countries, as many destinations have implemented transit regulations
  • the information on airline websites to determine their requirements, if any

Visit the page on health and safety while travelling to get information about:

  • your health and safety while abroad
  • how to reduce trip interruptions
  • the support available to Canadians currently abroad

Returning to Canada ― All travellers entering Canada must meet testing and quarantine requirements, regardless of their citizenship, in order to ensure everyone’s safety.

You may be exempt from some of these requirements under certain specific conditions.

Consult the information on travel during the COVID-19 pandemic to determine which measures apply to you.


    You should check the risk level of the country or countries you will be staying in. This information is available on the site of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (FAITC).

    It is strongly recommended that you read the guides of the entire section on travel on the same website.


    You must ensure that you have a valid passport that expires more than 6 months after the date of your intended return to Canada. It is recommended that you bring a photocopy of the identification page of the passport.

    If your passport is lost or stolen, you should contact the Canadian Embassy or consulate, as the case may be.


    You are required to register on the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada website, under the section Registration of Canadians Abroad. This is a free and confidential service. This will allow the Canadian government to reach you and assist you in the event of natural disasters, civil unrest or other emergencies.

    Emergency during the stay
    If you are experiencing an extreme emergency, contact without delay the closest Embassy or Consulate.


    Certain countries require a visitor's visa which is issued in Canada by the country's consulate or embassy, as the case may be, and you should allow a minimum of 12 weeks before your planned departure to apply for one.


    Health insurance
    The student must personally purchase, at his own expense, insurance covering illness, accidents, injuries, hospitalization, medical services, emergency dental care, medication, ambulance services and repatriation to Canada with or without medical escort. UQAT does not cover any costs related to any accident or illness. It is the responsibility of each individual to verify their health insurance coverage before departure.

    Travel cancellation
    It is recommended that you take travel cancellation insurance, at your own expense, in the event that your departure or return is cancelled or postponed, covering, in particular, the additional costs of your stay abroad.

    Personal and professional liability insurance
    A person who travels abroad in connection with defined activities must, prior to departure, take insurance at his own expense to cover personal and professional liability, with a minimum limit of $2,000,000.

    If necessary, obtain insurance to cover flight cancellations and lost luggage, and insurance to cover accommodation at destination.

    For more information on travel-related insurance.


    It is your responsibility to check the required vaccine(s) in preparation for the country or countries you will be visiting. You should plan for them at least 6 weeks before departure.

    Make sure you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by completing the vaccine series in Canada or abroad at least 14 days prior to travel. For more information, consult Canada's requirements for travel.


    You should check the local currency and its exchange rate. It is useful to check the cost of living in the country and region where you plan to stay. It is advisable to plan a budget and methods of payment to be used that will be valid after the duration of the stay: credit card, debit card, travellers' cheques, cash


    It is your duty to consult a travel health clinic to find out about the health risks associated with the host country and to obtain the recommended vaccinations and prescriptions. Some countries require proof of vaccination before allowing travellers to enter.

    If you are taking prescription drugs, it is important to bring the necessary amount with you, and carry a copy of the prescription in your luggage.

    It is a good idea to bring a first aid kit and to know where to find a certified doctor in case you need one, via: International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers.


    Travel security guide for university researchers and staff – University Canada (2019)
    The purpose of this guide is to raise awareness of the risks associated with travelling abroad and the steps you need to take to ensure your own protection and that of your research work.

    Mitigating economic and/or geopolitical risks in sensitive research projects – University Canada (2019)
    This guide provides researchers and research departments with advice and best practices for undertaking economic and geopolitical risk analysis and mitigating the main risks.


UQAT International