2020 winter session
Different possibilities relating to the submission and evaluation of the assessments exist and it is up to the teacher to choose the most relevant in regards to the objectives of the course and the personal and professional situation of the student. Especially if he or she works full-time or part-time to provide essential services (list of the government of Quebec), if he or she has to take care of family or any other special circumstances.
Except for the final exams, faculty members are asked to assign an « R » grade (postponed) if a student is unable to submit their work within the time required to meet the deadline for submission of grades. A new date for handing over the work must then be agreed between the two parties, normally during the 2020 summer session, or at a later session with the authorization of the department’s management. It is up to the faculty members concerned to follow up with the student until the final grade is given.
Particular case : For a student who completed an activity in the 2020 winter session for which he/she had already obtained an « R » grade, the deadline for meeting the course requirements may not exceed the end of the 2020 summer session unless otherwise instructed by the management of his department.
- If the whole class needs more time to submit assignments, it is also possible for the teacher to give an « R » grade to all the students. A new date for submission of assignments must then be agreed between the two parties, normally during the 2020 summer session, or at a later session with the authorization of the department’s management. It is up to the faculty members concerned to follow up with the group until the final grade is given.
Some faculty members are permitted to use the « pass or fail » notation type if the context of their course warrants.
- Each change of notation type must receive the prior approval of the Dean of Academic Management and Studies;
- This type of notation will then apply to all students enrolled in this activity;
- This type of notation cannot be applied only to one or some of the students registered in this activity;
- This type of notation will only apply for the 2020 winter session.
No course successfully completed by a student during the 2020 winter session can have a negative influence on their cumulative average, the cumulative average calculated at the end of the 2019 fall session. Consequently:
- Each student who has obtained a grade (included between A+ and D) greater than or equal to his cumulative average for an activity will keep his grade for this activity. This process will not require any action from the student, the teacher, the module, the program or the department.
- Each student who obtained a grade (included between A and D) for an activity below its cumulative average will automatically receive an "S" grade. This conversion will be carried out on May 16 or after May 16 in certain cases where the handing over of work has been postponed (result R). This change will not require any action from the student, the teacher, the module, the program or the department. For all results submitted after May 16, the automatic conversion will occur every two business days, which may explain why a result lower than the cumulative average of a student is temporarily on file.
- A student could still choose to keep their initial grade (included between A and D) rather than obtaining the "S" grade (requirement satisfied). This change will be made at the request of the student. To request a modification for one or more courses taken during the 2020 winter session, download the form by clicking here.1
- Students for whom the 2020 winter session is the first registration session and who, consequently, do not have a cumulative average, will keep their grade (included between A+ and D) for each successful activity, all by having the possibility of having this note modified for the "S" grade (requirement satisfied). This change will be made at the request of the student. To request a modification for one or more courses taken during the 2020 winter session, download the form by clicking here.1
1In the two preceding cases, the form must be sent to the Registrar's Office by the student within ten business days from the date of submitting the email notifying him or her that an addition or modification of the result was entered to his or her file (Symbiose). The Registrar's Office will email the response to the student as soon as possible.
The deadline to withdraw without mention of a failing grade and without refund is extended to April 24th, 2020, inclusively. For students dropping one or more courses between March 9th and April 24th, 2020, there will be the possibility of resumption, free of charge, within the 2020-2021 school year, of the course or courses abandoned. The terms and conditions for applying for courses at no cost will be published as soon as possible. It is important to note that:
- Only an activity abandoned between March 9th and April 24th, 2020, may be resumed free of charge at a later session, and this, within the 2020-2021 school year (2020 summer sessions, fall 2020 and winter 2021).
- All fees related to the courses taken in the 2020 winter session will have to be paid by the students, whether they complete the course or abandon it. It will indeed be an abandonment without mention of a failing grade and without a refund.
- No reimbursement of the tuition fees already paid for the 2020 winter session will be granted.
- Exceptionally, in connection with the current COVID-19 crisis and in order to allow as many students as possible to continue their university career, registrations for the 2020 summer and fall sessions will be possible even if a tuition balance remains unpaid. In addition, the deadline for payment of tuition fees for the 2020 summer and fall sessions is extended until October 23rd, 2020.
Visit the web page to consult the terms and conditions for retaking free of charge courses abandoned during the 2020 winter session and to download the form.